Elbow pain can have a number of underlying causes. Sportsmen like tennis and baseball players, golfers and boxers are quite susceptible to elbow injury due to the nature of their game. Elbow disorders may be caused due to damage in muscles or tendons of the arm, arthritis or defects in the bones of the arm. Whatever be the root cause of pain, a visit to the pain management doctors of Los Angeles will help in the accurate diagnosis and treatment of elbow pain.
What Are the Different Types of Elbow Disorders?
- Medial Epicondylitis
- Lateral Epicondylitis
- Olecranon Bursitis
- Dislocation or Fracture of the Elbow
- Ligament Strains and Sprains
How Are Elbow Disorders Diagnosed?
Your doctor will first need to diagnose the nature of your elbow injury before prescribing a treatment schedule to heal your elbow.
A number of medical tests will help diagnose your elbow disorder:
- Medical history and physical examination
- X-ray imaging
- Magnetic resonance imaging
- Computerized tomography scan
- Bursal fluid biopsy
Common Recommendation by Los Angeles Doctors For Dealing With A Painful Elbow
Treatment of elbow disorders depends on the nature of the underlying cause and severity of the symptoms. Here are some common treatment therapies used by pain management doctors in Los Angeles to treat joint pain in elbows.
- Medication management: A variety of medications may be used to treat pain in elbow joints. NSAID’s or other pain relievers, muscle relaxants, opioid drugs, antidepressants, etc. A combination of one or more medications may also be useful to treat joint pain in the elbows.
- Physical Therapy: Alternate cold and heat applications combined with stretching exercises, relaxation techniques and massage treatment may help alleviate the painful condition in the elbow. The role of a trained physiotherapist becomes important at this stage of treatment.
- Pain Management Injections: If you’re suffering from severe pain which remains for several weeks, the doctor may recommend local steroid injections for alleviating the pain at the elbow joint.
- Platelet rich plasma injections: This is a relatively new technique to treat elbow disorders where your blood sample is taken and treated to increase the number of platelets and then re-injected back into the you at the elbow joint. This allows the elbow to heal faster.
- Alternative therapies: Chiropractic therapies also work wonders for joint pains. This involves a natural treatment procedure independent of the use of drugs.
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture therapies are also recommended by doctors as a favourable alternative therapy for treating elbow pain caused by arthritis. This technique has become increasingly popular in the recent years.
- Surgery: Surgery is perhaps the last resort for treatment of elbow joint disorder. If all treatment modules fail, surgery is needed to resolve the elbow disorder. Most elbow surgeries are carried out as day to day procedures and you can usually go home the same day. Surgery is followed by a regular schedule involving stretching exercises, physiotherapy treatments and/or medications. Follow-up visits to the doctor may also be necessary till your elbow is completely healed.
Thus, painful elbow disorders can be treated by one or a combination of more than one treatment modules as mentioned previously.