At any one point in time, 1% of America suffers from sciatica due to a pinched nerve. This pain may feel like a pins and needles sensation, electrical sensation jolts, or a burning, searing type of pain. It may be disabling and prevent an individual from being able to work and function properly.
When it comes to treating sciatica effectively at pain clinics in LA, surgery is not always necessary. In fact, less than 5% of those who experience sciatica truly end up needing an operation.
Here are the top five ways to beat sciatica.
1. Pain medication –This typically consists of non-narcotic medications along with opiates. For those periods when pain is horrific, opiates such as Percocet or Vicodin may be necessary. In addition, sciatica can cause significant muscle spasms for which muscle relaxers may be helpful. Additionally, membrane stabilizing agents such as Lyrica or Neurontin may relieve sciatica pain as well.
2. Spinal decompression therapy – This is a revolutionary treatment that was FDA cleared back in the late 1990s. The treatment is noninvasive, and involves intermittent spinal traction that creates a negative pressure inside the disk space. While this negative pressure does not suck back in the piece of disk that has squeezed out and is pushing on the nerve root, it can relieve nerve root pressure and hence sciatica pain.
3. Chiropractic manipulations – During a chiropractic manipulation, pressure on a pinched nerve may be released. As with spinal decompression, it does not suck back in the piece of disc, but it may relieve pain at least temporarily.
4. Trigger Point Injections and Acupuncture – Acupuncture is a treatment that has been around for thousands of years beginning in Chinese medicine. It’s popularity increased tremendously recently in Western medicine after many research studies have shown it works very well for spinal conditions such as sciatica. It is a very low risk procedure that helps relieve spasms and pain. Trigger point injections may also help relieve spasms as well.
5. Epidural steroid injections – These are the gold standard for sciatica pain relief with interventional pain management. These procedures have been done for over 60 years, and studies have shown that over 75 to 80% of the time, they can provide excellent pain relief for sciatica.
It may necessitate multiple injections in a series to obtain maximal relief, and this series may be repeated every few months.
Overall, these five treatments provide over 90% of patients with enough pain relief to avoid surgery due to sciatica. None of these treatments actually fixes the problem, but the objective is to provide pain relief while the body disintegrates the piece of disk that has squeezed out. The treatments can help people “beat” the problem and avoid surgery. While the risks of spinal surgery are low for a herniated disc, they are real.
If you or a loved one is suffering from sciatica pain in the greater Los Angeles and Santa Monica area, help is available. The California Pain Network offers pain management Los Angeles trusts, with multiple therapy options available to relieve sciatica pain.
Call (310) 626-1526 today to schedule with the best pain clinics in Los Angeles!