Spinal cord stimulation (SCS) is a procedure that helps control chronic pain by using electrical impulses. An implantable medical device known as a spinal cord stimulator is placed near the spinal cord to reduce both leg or Back Pain.
One of the critical factors in the success of this procedure is patient selection. The Los Angeles pain management doctor will assess a patient’s clinical and psychosocial conditions to determine whether spinal cord stimulation is the best option. Typically, patients chosen for spinal cord stimulator implant have undergone one or more unsuccessful surgeries; had a previous disability for more than a year; and suffered from pain in the lower back and leg.
You may qualify as a candidate for the procedure, if you meet the following criteria:
- You’ve had a successful trial stimulation treatment
- You have a verified source of pain
- You’re not seriously dependent on drugs or any pain medication
- You don’t suffer from psychiatric conditions, such as depression, that can worsen pain
- You don’t have existing medical conditions that preclude the use of spinal cord stimulator implant
- You’ve had failed conservative therapies
- You have chronic neck or back pain
- You have Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD)
- You have peripheral vascular disease
- You have peripheral neuropathy
- Your pain remains or worsens despite previous back surgery
Pregnant or women who are nursing are not allowed to undergo this procedure. Moreover, patients who have the following conditions are not suitable candidates for spinal cord stimulation:
- Correctable lesion
- Less than 50 percent reduction in the degree of pain during a stimulation trial
- Feeling of discomfort from the sensation caused by transcutaneous electro stimulation units
- Demand type cardiac pacemaker
- Systemic infection
Your Orange County Pain Doctor will conduct a comprehensive evaluation to find out if you’re a good candidate for a spinal cord stimulator implant. Your pain history will be thoroughly evaluated to assess whether the treatment is appropriate for your goals of pain reduction. A pain specialist, physiatrist or neurosurgeon will examine your physical condition, medication and all prior treatments including surgeries, injections and physical therapy. A psychologist may also evaluate your condition, as pain is known to have psychological effects.
Spinal cord stimulation can help reduce chronic pain caused by:
- Complex regional pain syndrome
- Failed back surgery syndrome
- Chronic arm/leg pain
- Spinal cord injury
- Multiple sclerosis
- Peripheral vascular disease
- Stump pain
- Pelvic Pain
If a correctable condition causes your pain, then this condition must be treated first before choosing to undergo SCS. Once your pain management doctor in Orange County considers you as a good candidate for SCS, you’ll undergo a trial stimulation that will further determine if spinal cord stimulation is appropriate for the severity, location and type of pain you have.
The California Pain Network offers Board Certified pain treatments at several locations in Los Angeles and Orange County. Both medical and interventional pain treatments are offered. Over 50 treatments are offered, with impressive success rates being seen.
Call (310) 626-1526 for more information and scheduling today!